Tuesday, April 13, 2010

04/09/2010

SCHOONER CREEK FISH TRAP:

Good afternoon,

Today was a busy day up at Schooner Creek. We had a class of 40 students from Taft Elementary School (split 5th/6th grade) along with one member of the Mid Coast Watershed Council and other volunteers. When I arrived early this morning I checked the trap right away and found one small native hen. I left her in the trap at that point to be released later when the kids were all there. I also had one very large hatchery male Steelhead that I had dispatched on Wednesday, put on ice and used him today for a dissection exercise. It turned out to be a good day. I think the children learned a lot and enjoyed themselves. They had numerous stations to visit including water quality, riparian care, entomology, and water flow. Everyone whooped and hollered when I came out of the trap with the Steelhead and all followed me up to the bridge where she was released to cheers from everyone. I will be back up there on Monday for another class although we will be on the North Fork of Schooner Creek and not at the trap. I will take care of the trap before the class begins.

Have a good weekend,

Mike

No comments: