Tuesday, April 27, 2010

03/31/2010

SCHOONER CREEK FISH TRAP:
Hi everyone,

I am sure happy that I took Hank up on his reasonably priced lessons on how to locate fish in Schooner Creek trap. It was money well spent. Today I found three Steelhead in the trap(2 males and 1 female all native). I don't think the female will make it as she was exhausted when I first saw her in the trap. Either the males chased her out of the calmer water or the trip up the ladder was to much for her. She is ripe and ready to spawn. I spent about 30 minutes trying to revive her up by the bridge but I am not holding out much hope. The two males were healthy and strong. I found about two feet of water in the trap but there was quite a bit of debris blocking in the upper chamber. Once I cleared everything out the water was running over three feet high. No wildlife to report and no one had stepped on the trap cover so it was easy to open.


Brian may well find fish in the trap on Friday with the elementary school kids up there.

Mike

PS: Thanks again Hank AND
Also, don't step on the grate after it has been closed. I think someone must have been up at the trap to have pushed it down so hard. I have found it hard to pull up on several occasions but never in the manner that Team Chinook reported. I never step on it and as Wayde mentioned, let it down easy or it will stick.
Mike

No comments: