Tuesday, January 12, 2010

01/06/2010

SCHOONER CREEK FISH TRAP:
Good afternoon all,

Today was an interesting day at Schooner Creek. I was truly team Lone Wolf today as my partner has a sinus infection and is currently out of service. As I was walking up the road I noticed very little water moving down the ladder so I hurried to the trap and found about 8 inches of water running through. When I opened the trap I could see there were fish in the trap and the fact that it was almost blocked made it much easier for me to deal with since I was alone.

Total fish count:

Coho - 1 wild male, released just below the bridge.
Steelhead - 2 wild males, and 2 wild females, all released just below the bridge. One male and one female had very distinct seal marks. The female actually had a bite out of her abdomen along with the rake marks on both sides.

Once the fish were released I began to work on the trap. Most of the debris was branches from our always busy beaver somewhere upstream. The front of the upper gate was blocked with quite a bit of silt behind the branches. I spent about an hour cleaning the trap and when I finished there was 48" of water running in the trap. If the creek has crested the team on Friday should be OK. If it is still rising you will probably see what I did today. No wildlife just some rain.

It sure was good to see Casey yesterday!

Mike

No comments: