Wednesday, November 11, 2009

11/11/09

SCHOONER CREEK FISH TRAP:

Good evening everyone,

What a beautiful day. Either I have someone looking over my shoulder or I am just infected with dumb luck. Either way the last two weeks on Wednesdays have been absolutely perfect weather up the canyon at Schooner Creek. The sun was shining and the water was relatively clear. As I reached the trap I noticed that there wasn't much water in the trap but a deep pool above the upper gate. The water in the trap was only about a foot deep as the upper gate was pretty well cogged with leaves and other debris. I immediately saw a dorsal fin and knew I would need the net today. As I entered the trap fish started darting all over. The end result was eight Coho all male. Seven fish were released upstream and one was passed down stream over the dam. The one small male Coho was caught in the entry grate and was unable to move forward or backward and apparently drowned. I cleaned the trap which was clogged with leaves and branches but no silt or gravel (thank you Butch and whomever helped you dig out the entrance). The trap should be in good condition for the upcoming rains. No wildlife today.

Mike

No comments: