Monday, February 9, 2009

01/16/09

SCHOONER CREEK FISH TRAP:


From: James Ray [mailto:James.Ray@state.or.us]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 11:00 AM
To: Mike Samples
Cc: The Hook
Subject: RE: Schooner Creek Trap

Mike,

Thanks for the update. I will be heading out there this afternoon with Bill (a displaced fisherman currently working with us on grant money) to try to clear the trap and get it operational. From your description this sounds completely feasible, but it also sound like we should perhaps get a larger group out there in the near future to secure some longer term flow improvements.

I will keep you posted as to how it goes today then will make some suggestions for how and when we might move forward later next week.

Thanks

James


From: Mike Samples [mailto:msamples57@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:42 PM
To: James Ray; DECKARD Casey J
Subject: Re: Schooner Creek Trap

James,

I went up to the trap yesterday to assess the condition. Honestly, I should have gone up ready to work on the trap but based on the information I received I didn't. I simply went to the trap to look .As you have heard there is quite a bit of silt built up above the upper trap gate, approximately 24". This level of silt is no more than what I have been working with over the past couple of weeks. I could have had the trap working in an hour or so yesterday if I would have gone prepared. The work Casey did on the channel above the trap has been washed out with the last high water and the sand bags are gone. The trap itself has silt but nothing that can't be pushed through to the upper end of the ladder. In both resting areas of the ladder there is significant gravel and silt which I think should be removed. I haven't tackled that because I have been by myself this year and didn't want to push things without back up. I also believe there should be more water directed into the trap but as the water hits the gravel bar that has built up on the creek side above the trap it continues to pull additional silt into the trap. We just need a work party during low water to address the existing silt in the ladder and above the trap.

Mike

On Jan 14, 2009, at 9:05 AM, James Ray wrote:


All,

I wanted to let you know that me and a couple of other ODFW staff will be going out to schooner creek on Friday afternoon to address the trap issues and try to reopen it. Mike if you go out there before Friday, could you please let me know the condition it is currently in. My intention, based on what, John said on Monday is to clean the trap completely out and try a second removal of some gravel immediately above the head-gate.

Thanks

James

--------------------------------------------------------

James Ray

Assistant District Fish/STEP Biologist

Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife

810 SW Alder St., Suite C,

Newport, OR, 97365

Phone: (541) 265 8306 ext. 253

Fax: (541) 265 9894

No comments: