Wednesday, December 31, 2008

12/24/08

SCHOONER CREEK FISH TRAP:

This in from Mike "Git-R-Done" Samples..............................


Good afternoon, and Merry Christmas to all,

Today, believe it or not we had fish in the trap. There were two fish, one wild male and one wild female Coho. Both fish are very healthy and in full spawning colors. I released the male up stream and he immediately headed back down and into the upper section of the trap. I was able to chase him back out but it took a while to convince him to head to the other side of the creek. When I returned for the female, and while spending quality time in the trap with her, she was somehow able to turn slip through the entrance opening and went back down the ladder for the time being escaping my best efforts. I will return on Friday and "Git-R-Done".

Since the diversion of the channel I believe it is important to walk to the middle of the creek and release fish into the main channel. By doing this we may alleviate the necessity to chase fish back out of the upper section of the trap. Just a thought.

Mike

No comments: