Tuesday, September 7, 2010

08/13/2010

SILETZ FISH TRAP:

Donny & Wayde made the trap run today. We left town at 8:20 and arrived at the Siletz trap at 9:50. We saw 1 deer on the way in and no logging trucks.

I went across the river and opened the trap. Donny sent the transport box over and I guided it into the trap. I went back across for Donny and our salmon work began. There were 14 fish in the trap. I was glad there were not too many as I still felt stuffed from the great BBQ we all had the night before. I must have eaten a dozen of Donny’s “Texas Poppers”. The water was 53 degrees.

The fish breakdown was:

Hatchery Steelhead

3 males 4 females



Wild Steelhead

3 females



Chinook

2 male 2 jacks



There were many fish waiting below the trap along the ladder and at the pool below the ladder.

Stan van de Wetering visited us at the trap. He is the fisheries biologist for the tribe. He was doing a lamprey eel survey wearing a dry suit and had a snorkel. He found about 20 eels below the trap in the ladder. He was interested in the activities of the LVH Fishing Club so I told him briefly some of what we do.



We threw 10 fish in Gravel Creek above it’s confluence with the Siletz river. More deer and a blue heron were seen above the falls.



Got back to the Pig House at 12:30pm. Later in the day I gave Donny a copy of the club video so he can show his fellow Texans what Oregon salmon look like.

Wayde

No comments: