Saturday, July 10, 2010

06/04/2010

SILETZ TRAP RUN:

June 4, 2010
Went to the fish trap with Bill and Christina. After the heartbreak of leaky hip waders last time, I resolved to remedy that situation with a trip to the store for some proper equipment. After spending copious amounts of cash, I wound up looking like a sporting goods store mannequin, which prompted my sweetie to grab her camera and get a picture of me cuz I looked so "cute". Being used to this sort of abuse, I took it in stride, wobbled out of the house and headed for town.
Saw a bald eagle on the way to the fish trap and arrived at 9:50 am in one piece, despite an impromptu meeting with a sneaky logging truck (Use your radio Bubba!). We then proceeded to hop into the trolley of doom and braved the raging Siletz (sorry folks just trying to spice it up a bit). The river was up quite a bit since the last time I was there and the water temp was 48 degrees. We found 24 steelhead in the trap. One wild male, 4 wild females, 10 hatchery males and 9 hatchery females. Alas, 5 perfectly innocent hatchery fish were brutally slain, but all for a good cause.
Bill had 2 rookies on his hands today. Christina on some of the power equipment and me on pretty much everything else. Hopefully, I didn’t bring too much shame or humiliation on the LVHFC. I'm happy to announce he never once lost patience with either of us. What a great guy! In the end - mission was accomplished and a good time had by all. Looking forward to doing it again next Friday.

Don

No comments: